Nothing says, “I’ve got holiday spirit.” quite like a well decorated establishment. That being said, business owners are busy people, and it is understandable that this aspect falls by the wayside. The fall solstice is on September 22 – which means the summer ends, and the fall begins. That also means it is officially an apt time to whip out the fall decor. No matter the type of environment your establishment has, this is an opportunity that everyone can capitalize on to incorporate the coziness of autumn.
Why It Matters
Having better decorations and environment is a selling point for a customer to choose one establishment over another. Holiday shopping kicks in gear around this time as well, and is a great chance to take advantage of the increased foot traffic. According to Pew research, a whopping 92% of Americans celebrate Christmas during the holidays. On top of this, decor increases the number of photo opportunities for your customers. They’ll likely share them on social media, which provides your business the option of engagement via those outlets! Luckily, there are ways to decorate your establishment in a fun and inviting way without it being too expensive or time consuming.
You can purchase these things to save time, or we’ve got some DIYs if you’d like to save money and add a personal twist. Either way, some holiday decoration ideas are as follows:
General Fall Decorations
South Wiltshire bathed in a blustery pink glow this morning. Cosy and jolly in the bar and nearly time for a glass of something….pink? . . . #monday #rose #redwine #wine #warm #wind #pink #pinksun #candlelight #mellow #relaxed #calm #peaceful #lunch #drinks #hurricaneophelia #bar #bardesign #restaurantinterior #gardenrestaurant #happymonday #pythousekitchengarden #kitchengardenco
- Wreaths – Wreaths have a lot of history behind them, and can symbolically mean a variety of things, but traditionally for the holidays symbolizes life and strength.
- Pumpkins – This winter squash is iconic in regards to the fall season. They’re also probably the easiest to implement decor-wise as you can just grab some from a local grocer and place them as you see fit.
- Leaves – One of the most telling signs of autumn is seeing the leaves change color from green to a variety shades of yellow, red, and orange. The best part about this one? Lots of leafy resources are usually outside, just a few steps away.
- Lighting – Strings of light are fun, and on top of being available in a vast amount of colors, can really be used any time of year. Lanterns, lamps, and flicker flame light fixtures are a nifty way to bring a fall vibe to your lighting.
- Jack-O-Lanterns – There are several ways to decorate these for Halloween, from painting and glittering them to of course the ol’ traditional gut and carve.
- Bat Chandelier (Via Mypapercrane)
- Hanging Ghosts (Via Simply Designing)
- Spider webs – Fake spider webs can be purchased at any party store during the holiday season, are a relatively easy decoration, and are easy to accessorize with spiders or other decorations!
- Skeletons (Via DIY Candy)
- For more, check out our blog post about boosting Halloween revenue!
Christmas and Winter Decorations
- Lights – Christmas time is obviously particularly notorious for being a lights extravaganza, utilize this opportunity to dazzle your customers!
- Christmas Trees – These are a staple for the holiday, however there are a few things to keep in mind if you plan on having one. If a real tree is going to be used, make sure to follow all the fire codes in your area regarding candles, lanterns, etc. There’s even fire codes for fake trees – particularly metal trees as they can’t have any electric lighting near them. Christmas trees leave lots of creative liberties attached to decoration as well, it can be themed, or it can just be a smorgasbord of ornaments.
- More Garlands (Via A Beautiful Mess)
- Themed Centerpieces (Via Good Housekeeping)
- Log Snowman (Via Felt Magnet)
However you choose to decorate, fun and inviting decorations are bound to bring more people in. This can be a fun activity for your employees to build teamwork and morale. It also reflects that your establishment is one that is invested in culture and community. Additionally, it is a fantastic tool for building word-of-mouth promotion amongst customers and their peers. Though holiday decorations can seem like an extra cost, they’ll likely make up for themselves in revenue and profit.